If you would like to register your interest in any of the courses scheduled below or would like more information, please contact Auckland Football Federation Development Officer Steven Dillon.
For a full calendar of coaching courses click here.
Introduction to Junior Coaching (Ref: ITJC)
This two hour workshop blends together demonstrations of practical activities with good advice on how to survive your first coaching season.
Designed for new and inexperienced coaches, this course and the supporting resource, is a great starting point for coaches looking for friendly advice on how and what to coach their junior players.
What's on offer:
- Age-appropriate practical demonstrations
- Age-appropriate coaching techniques
- The Introduction to Coaching resource
- Coaching resources - ideas for training
In their words: "I'm impressed with the resource and how it supports new coaches and game leaders by how the weeks are planned. I love idea of mini games...and I am looking forward to trying out these skills with our kids." Sally, Pt. England.
This four-hour workshop provides coaches with a deeper insight into age appropriate, effective coaching for players aged 6-12 years.
This course of learning combines an examination of both the ‘How’ and ‘What’ of coaching junior players through an interactive and practical approach as well as providing a comprehensive resource for coaches to take away and use with their players.
This course is perfect for coaches who are looking to improve their coaching and to develop their knowledge and understanding of how to work effectively with junior players.
What's on offer:
- New Zealand Football formal qualification
- Understanding the player-centred coaching philosphy
- Developing strategies to make your coaching more effective
- Understanding how to use player-centred coaching tools
- Practice planning and delivering age-appropriate actitivites
- Training resource - catalogue of games & practices for your designated age group
NZF Junior Level 2 Coaching Award
Cost: $87 per module
This level of development introduces coaches to a new modular learning system. The system is designed to provide you with a smorgasbord of bite-sized learning opportunities that when accumulated develop your knowledge and skills in a wide range of coaching related subject areas.
The module content has been carefully designed to provide you with the relevant knowledge and skills to progress your learning and help you to work effectively within this particular age group of players.
The modules have been classified as either age-specific modules or generic modules. The generic modules involve content and learning that is relevant to all coaches regardless of the age of the players they coach, i.e. player-centred coaching and the specific modules contain content that is relevant to a designated community of players.
These modules are perfect for beginner and developing coaches who want to increase their effectiveness in key areas of coaching pertaining to junior players.
What's on offer:
Tactical Module (4 hours) (Ref: JL2Tact)
- Creating a game day coaching philosophy
- Understanding the needs of your players on game days
- Overview of the basic tactics and principles of play in small sided games
- Developing player-centred coaching strategies to support player learning on game days
Player-Centred Coaching Module (4 hours) (Ref: JL2PCC)
- Understanding how to use the "Teaching Games For Understanding" coaching tool
- Understanding how to use "questioning" effectively
- Understanding how players learn and developing strategies to promote learning
- Practical coaching ideas to develop a player-centred approach to coaching
Developing Technique & Skills Module (4 Hours) (Ref: JL2DTS)
Football Fitness (2 Hours) (Ref: JL2FF)
This course focuses on the training and development of fundamental movement patterns. These movements form the foundation for physical skills like speed, agility, balance and co-ordination.
- Differences in growth & maturation
- Gender differences between boys and girls
- Windows of accelerated development of speed
- Misconception of Talent Identification
NZF Junior Level 3 Coaching Award
A programme of development allowing the very best junior coaches to specialise in coaching of talented junior players. Level 2 completion is a pre-requisite (available 2013).